Year 1 Joining words and clauses using 'and': What do you like?
Join English expert, Rachel Clarke, as she shares a lesson that helps children to extend their sentences using 'and' to join words and clauses, using ideas from the story, 'Red Rockets and Rainbow Jelly' by Sue Heap and Nick Sharratt. In this lesson, you will explore the English objective relating to joining words and joining clauses using 'and'. Children will recap their understanding of sentence punctuation. They will practise using their new knowledge to write sentences about things they like.
Key Stage 1
- Writing - vocabulary, grammar and punctuation
- Spoken Language
- Writing – composition
- write sentences by: saying out loud what they are going to write about
- write sentences by: composing a sentence orally before writing it
- write sentences by: re-reading what they have written to check that it makes sense
- read their writing aloud, clearly enough to be heard by their peers and the teacher
- develop their understanding of the concepts set out in English appendix 2 by: joining words and joining clauses using ‘and’
- develop their understanding of the concepts set out in English appendix 2 by: leaving spaces between words
- develop their understanding of the concepts set out in English appendix 2 by: beginning to punctuate sentences using a capital letter and a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark
- participate in discussions, presentations, performances, role play, improvisations and debates
- speak audibly and fluently with an increasing command of Standard English